Saturday, September 21, 2013

the toughest steps yet (By Laura)

Well, after a lot of thought, preparation, purging, viewing some places around town, talking, more thought, and more talking, we made the surprisingly difficult leap and listed our house.  This is not as easy at it looks, people!!  It's great to talk about simplifying, and paring down one's possessions, and moving into a smaller space, and living a simpler life, but actually doing it?  Yikes!


Purging has been fun.  I can't deny that.  There is something really freeing, and dare I say addicting, about getting rid of stuff.  Emptying out closets that we haven't touched in years, clearing out the "extras" in the garage and crawl spaces, these things feel good.  It feels like a kind of "spring cleaning", even though it's fall.  It feels fresh, a little less cluttered, and brings about a feeling of peace.  This is the easy part.

And talking about simplifying is fun too!  In fact, lots of you have gotten excited along with us about this idea!  Simplifying one's stuff really DOES lead to less time spent cleaning, less stress over where to put things, how to keep things in good shape, and where to put new things we buy!  It has been by far the quickest change that we have been able to enjoy - less stuff really is better.  My days at home with the girls, because we homeschool, tend to be really, really cluttered and messy.  I mean, we are bringing out art supplies, books and notebooks and pens and pencils, science experiment stuff, poster presentation stuff, not to mention dishes and food!  All of these things are enough to drive a mom batty, but adding in a toddler who just loves to empty drawers and toy bins while we do all this exciting stuff, now that just stresses me out.  I watch her do it, while trying to focus on helping the older girls do their math (no easy task!), and I have this growing feeling of anxiety over the progressively larger mound of clean up I have to do.  


I know, I know.  The kids should clean up too.  And they do somewhat.  But really, when I compare the amount of energy it takes me to clean things up against the amount of energy it takes me to nag them to clean up after themselves....oh my.  Not comparable.  Nonetheless, I try and ensure that they do some cleaning, and clean they do.  (Am I off track again...?)

So we have purged, simplified (at least stuff...) and we have also viewed a number of places - apartments and townhouses exclusively.  It has been fun, and educational, and inspiring, and scary.  I won't deny it.  This is a bit of a scary jump! 

Here's a little insight into my brain as I go back and forth over this:

"What if it's just too small?"
"Oh, poor first world family, having to fit into 1200 square feet.  Snif!"
"What if I regret losing the big yard for the girls to play in?  I have a strong belief in the importance of the outdoors!"
"There are parks.  Especially if you chose a place close to one.  And it's going to take some effort to get out, but you can do it!"
"But our beautiful house!  I do love it!  And our neighbourhood is so nice!"
"And you've enjoyed it for a good long 4 years.  Be thankful!"
"But we will miss our neighbours!  And they have been such good neighbours!"
"Yes, they have.  And you can still see them, with a little effort.  You'll have new neighbours too."
"But what a huge thing moving is!  So much work!  It would be so much easier to stay!"
"Yes, but think of your values.  Think of the reasons you're making this change.  Think of closer proximity with your family, less time upkeeping and more time together, more room in the budget for family adventures, feeling more satisfied with how your making use of your resources, being able to give away more than you do now, being able to enjoy the small things in life rather than being bogged down with housework!"

And on and on it goes.  Honestly, these are daily arguments going through my head.

But we are sure.  Some days more than others.  It's exciting and terrifying.  

So we went and listed our house.  We had no further steps to take.  We had reached the crossroads, and so there was nothing left to do but bail on the whole thing or take that leap.  

It was a bit of a nerve-wracking meeting.  Thankfully we love our realtors and they know us fairly well.  We came up with a price and signed the papers.  Woo!  I feel the kind of adrenaline that only someone who is doing something wild and crazy would feel, like as if I'm about to bungie jump!  It's going to be great but I'm nervous!!  Aaaah!  Wish us luck!!


No comments:

Post a Comment