Sunday, June 7, 2015

Soaking up the last rays of Amsterdam



Oooooooh the wonderful city of Amsterdam! Oooooh how lovely! How many feelings were unleashed and absorbed and enjoyed here! 

First, the Dutch are generally lovely people. Very friendly and kind to one another. Second, they are very confident. Women and men alike seem to carry an air of casual assurance that I found very appealing. Third, they bike everywhere. I mean, this goes without saying, but the Dutch are serious about two modes of transport: bikes and boats. MAN. Love them.

LOVE THEM.


Okay, so they are also totally into marijuana and fine with the sex trade being up close and personal in the middle of their dang city. So they have faults, or something, but then I will be the first to admit that I was starting to actually enjoy the fine aroma of pot that lingered on the street corners and outside the entryways to the "coffee houses". Weird? Well... maybe but what I can I say? Haha!!


It's just the way I roll, apparently....

Anyway, what a nice week. The final day was spent in a second and final pursuit of bike rentals. This time, we didn't want to go and pay money to train out of town again, for risk that we'd not get bikes again, so we went to a rental place closer to where we were staying and got the last few bikes!! Aiyaiyai! Note to all who plan to do this: RESERVE BIKES THE DAY BEFORE. Didn't know we could have done that...

So, the plan was to rent four bikes and mine would be fitted with a child seat. They were out of child seats, so I got offered the DINOSOAR.


You can see that I felt a stern, angry, old fashioned facial expression would match THE DINOSOAR quite well. I'm sure you agree.

I'm not kidding. This thing was a monster, and heavy, and not efficient in any way. While I hand it to the Dutch to have created a society in which biking is the main mode of transport, I can't commend them on the invention of this thing. 


But did I make do? Well yes I did! And I have the sore butt to show for it! (No, that is just an expression. I will not be showing you my sore butt.)

In fact, we had an AMAZINGLY WONDERFUL time riding bikes! Little lady got to ride in the dinosoar's box (oh that sounded very, very wrong) and the rest had their own bikes. We biked along the river and straight out of Amsterdam into the lovely countryside! Beautiful!



We even stopped and picnicked by a lovely old windmill!






Honestly! Look at this Dutch-ness! Sigh!

Okay, so we headed back and then went into town to the famous pancake place we should have gone to the night before!! Couldn't miss it!


The Pancake Bakery! As you can see, it was busy. In fact, we only got in by a hair, thanks to a merciful waitress who saw how eager we were to munch the delectable patties of delightfulness.

Weird, I know.






That is meant to be a thumbs "up". I think the picture is sideways. Anyway, OH my goodness. Delicious! Apart from the obvious choice to have banana-nutella pancakes, Ryan and I also ventured to share a bacon-cheese-apple one too. YUM!!! 

So, um, we recommend this place too. So good.

When we were done, we headed home on the tram and had a good night, ready for a flight to FRANCE in the morning. Stay tuned!


No comments:

Post a Comment