Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Day 1: Owned

We had all day, ALL DAY, to prepare for our departure. We are still undecided as to whether that was a good or bad thing. Ryan felt quite sure that a morning departure would have taken away the angst of the building departure feelings, and I kind of liked the day of finishing up and getting ready. 

Alas, our flight to London, England was an overnight flight, and so all day we had. After packing up the last of the bags, prepping and cleaning the house for the family who would be staying in it until we returned, and keeping the girls busy enough not to make little messes here and there, we certainly had our hands full!

Now, let me say that I have never flown with British Airways before, and I found myself quite impressed! First, the goodness of having your own personal tv screen can't be beat. Next, every seat had a blanket, pillow, headphones and a toothbrush and paste on it. That felt rather posh, thank you very much. I was really excited, as was the rest of the family, and so we took some pictures. Note the lovely blanket on my lap.  



So we took off, in our huuuuge two-level aircraft (that freaked me out somewhat), and after a brief time long enough to watch part of a movie, the lights were dimmed and it was "sleeping time". You know, going on an overnight flight as an adult is tricky. Taking kids, a bit trickier. I have to admit though, it could have been much, much worse. One of the three (thankfully the youngest) practically slept the whole time. The other two struggled along with us adults to get comfy. 

But it was when we started descending at the end of the flight that things got exciting. After not sleeping all night, eating plane food, and feeling generally uncomfortable in my seat after 9 hours, I started feeling a wee bit sickly as we plane tossed bcak and forth as it descended. I also coulnd't see out a window, which caused a bit of nausea. Eugh. So, from the "seatbelt sign being turned off" to the front door of my sister's house, I stopped at every single bathroom there was to empty my dear bowels and try and try to think, calm and relax my way into feeling better. (Mind over matter!) It turns out all I needed was a little horizontal sleep and a barf, and then I was perky as can be again! 

And I got to spend the evening with these crazy guys!


So day 1 is done, and I'm heading to sleep so I can be up and get things rolling for some sightseeing tomorrow!! Yahoo!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment