Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Amsterdam stormed.


We have spent two and a half days in Amsterdam now, and I must admit, I am LOVING it! What an amazing city! But I described my love yesterday. Allow me to take you on our journey (and myself in review as I write it) thus far.

It all began with my body beginning to recover from the nasty virus I had been under the power of. I could swallow with little pain now, and had very little fever coming and going. (Yes! That is what I had been working with!!) So there was some good relief when we started out on our first adventurous day in Amsterdam.

I just want to keep saying that. Amsterdam. We're in Amsterdam. Just say it with me, will you? Amsterdam. What a fun word. (As a kid I thought of hamsters every time I heard the city's name. Weird.)

Okay, so we got up as early as humanly possible for a family of 5 that had been going hard at the sights and sounds of London for nearly a week, then had spent some time in travel and hopping over the sea. This early hour was intended to be about 6:30am, but ended up being more like post-7am. We munched a quick breakfast, then rushed out to catch the tram to the Anne Frank Annexe. 


The Anne Frank Annexe was an exciting place that all of us were looking forward to seeing. Our two older daughters were really taken with her story as they discovered her last year while studying Holland. 


The little one (one can't blame her, since she is only four) asked us eagerly as we were heading to "Anne's House" if we would see Anne, with the long braids and red hair. We had to break the news that this was Anne Frank, not Anne of Green Gables. Shucks. 

On our way out, we passed by this hilarious neighbourly interraction. Made us all laugh!



But I digress...


So, the line up was really, really long. We had all intentions of being early - being there 45 minutes before it opened, but alas, with tired bodies we weren't able to get up and out early, so we skipped the 3 hour wait and decided to move on to our next destination: the Maritime Museum!


On our way to the Museum, we stopped into a little cafe (NOT, "coffee shop", because apparently the Dutch have adopted that term for their marijuana shops...weird?) for a little bite to eat. Lovely!


Okay but back to the Maritime Musem. First things first - when we arrived, we had to check our bags and coats into the coooool underground locker storage place. Notice the coooool kids we snapped a picture of...


Next, it was a great adventure wandering through the amazing hallways, lifts, and exhibits to learn about Dutch history with the water, sailing, shipping, trading, and commerce. That description sounded horribly boring, but it wasn't! It was so well done! And I have developed the utmost respect for the Dutch heritage and history! 

(...AND I now fully understand why the Dutch are "cheap", as they so often proclaim!) :D



And no, it wasn't all about their glorious whaling history - this was a small part of the story....and interesting!



History in stained glass - hello!!


Here I am stiking a handsome pose in respect for the Dutch, and gratitude for having married one of them. :)

There were some beautiful spots in the museum, apart from the actual exhibits.







Now, that was only one part of the museum, and while we sadly didn't have enough time to see the whole place, we DID have enough time to see "the ship".


Yes, this is an actaul ship, an old one, used in the past to travel the seven seas in the name of Dutch commerce and defence! I sheepishly admit I don't remember the name of it....oh for shame! But let me show you the ship anyway...


In the sleeping quarters, Ryan tried out the hammocks. He gave them the big two thumbs up! I mean, look at his expression of complete serenity!


I'm sorry to my pacifist friends, but I shot a cannon. I'm pretty sure no one died, although I may have taken out a duck or two.


We checked out the "surgeon's quarters", and our littlest found a tiny room just perfect for her!


Out on the deck, more fun was had!


A couple sassy kids over on the opposite deck! I was really quite amazing to see just how huge this ship was. You can really imagine there being a buttload of sailers living and working it. Yes, I said a buttload of sailers. You're welcome.


Here you see a handful of those sailors (come on, use your imagination - we're pretty good actors, no?) steering the ship.


And then there was this guy, upstaging us all. Don't rip yourself off by missing his intensity. 


A necessary "all hands on deck" kind of shot here. Some sailors take this seriously, while others are just there for a good time.


We tried again in the glass-roofed courtyard entrance to the museum as we were heading out, but things were getting a bit crazy...

They only got crazier as we headed back to this place.


We waited only an hour, which was better than three, and then got in. It was quite moving, as one would expect. What a story. I can honestly say though, that taking three over-tired children through....well let's say there have been better ideas. That said, we still all enjoyed it and got a lot out of it. 

But it was rather a relief to head home. :)


So, our first day in Amsterdam was a great success, if not utterly exhausting. We all slept well, and the next day would have an adventure in another dutch city.... coming up!

No comments:

Post a Comment