Monday, September 23, 2013

the (sweet) small things (By Laura)

It was a crisp, sunny afternoon yesterday, and the sun glistened off the wet road and grass and leaves that had been rained on only hours before.  It was the kind of sun that was sharp and more distant than the summer sun.  It was warm, but not hot; it felt like fall.  No leaves had dropped off yet, though the trees seemed to show signs of fatigue, and even the smell in the air spoke of the season to come.

It was the first day of school for most kids.  Many of our friends' children would be nervously entering their new classrooms and meeting their new teachers.  Part of me remembered with nostalgia the excitement and nervousness of the first day of high school, feeling older and yet so young at the same time.  Oh the torture of that morning routine.  How could one brush their teeth when their teeth were chattering?  Fall, and particularly that day after labour day, bring new things, new beginnings.

Even though we homeschool, we all feel that same jittery feeling.  In my own heart, it displays itself both in bubbling excitement and in a wee sense of dread that it's going to be a really hectic month.  September is just crazy.  Just.  Crazy.  New routines, new activities, new leaves to turn over, and now, a new way of living as we embark on this simplicity thing.

I was amazed and gleeful when I heard my two older girls say, "Mom, we wish we were starting homeschool TODAY."  Our two days of classes don't start for another two weeks, and I had been planning to start homeschool next week.  We just got back from our road trip two days ago and I needed some days to organize my thoughts and ground myself.  Apparently they had something else in mind!  What a great way to start the school year - with excitement and longing.

This year, we will be trying to keep things simple, and let me tell you, it's not easy with kids.  As a parent, it's so easy to fall into the trap of living vicariously through your kids.  That parent within me wants them to try EVERY ACTIVITY AVAILABLE because, well, there's just SO MUCH to try!!!  Horse riding lessons, learning an instrument, sports, art classes, cooking classes, gymnastics, dance, the list goes on and on and on.  And I'm just talking about extracurricular stuff here!  (Although it kind of all melds into the school experience since we generally do homeschool classes held during the day...)  The girls are also really excited about a homeschool theatre program they'll be in this year.  They get to rehearse once a week for the entire year, and then put on a professional-level musical in the spring.  THIS, my friends, is exciting.

But to fit in all these things as well as school....let me just say that I need to be REALLY deliberate about how choosy I am.  Schedules can NOT be overly full.  That just doesn't fit with our philosophy of simplicity, and I just don't think it's a good thing in general!  Kids need down time, people!  They need quiet, restful, creative time!  Alone!  (But I digress...)

I sat down to get some things sorted and after a wee bit, decided to make some chai.  It's a recipe a friend gave me that is so delicious, so sweet and spicy and warm.  It reminds me of fall, and it reminds me of being simple.  It's the moments in which I get to sit with a cup of chai and read a book or gaze out the window that make me feel human, afloat, grounded.

And so to you all I wish the most wonderful, joy-filled, exciting, and fulfilling September imaginable.  I intend to do it up right, with chai in a mug, a good book in hand, and three rascally, funny, lovely girls by my side.


Recipe for Chai
I never received portions, so I just throw a bunch of stuff in and it tastes great every time!  Just try and put more tea than spices.

Loose Leaf Tea - Assam or Rooibos (or both)
Cardamom Seeds
Fennel Seeds
Cinnamon Stick
Black Pepper Seeds (optional)
Fresh Ginger (not optional - a whole chunk of it!)


Throw it all into a pot with, oh, 6 cups of water?  Boil, then reduce and simmer for 1 hour.

After an hour, pour it all into a pot.


Add the same amount of milk/soy milk/almond milk (6 cups?), add honey, another cinnamon stick, and more ginger, and heat.





Strain and serve immediately or cool in the fridge for a lovely cool chai drink!



1 comment: